The Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Best Candle Scent to Gift (or keep)
Scents are so important to humans. Our brains make fascinating connections between aromas, memories and emotions. A certain perfume might bring about memories of your father. The smell of cinnamon might evoke memories of mum baking a cake on a Sunday morning. Our olfactory nerves play an important role in what we think about and how we feel.
That's why scented candles are so popular. They create atmospheres conducive to good memories and feelings.
How do you choose the right candle scent for yourself or to give as a gift? Here are some tips from Joe and Anna.
1. Think about your space. Where will you - or your gift recipient - put your candle? If it's a small bathroom, you probably want a lighter scent. If it's your great big room, you might need something a little more powerful. Your bedroom might be a great place for a floral or outdoorsy scent, but in your kitchen, it might not go well with the smell of your dinner cooking.
2. Decide on your purpose. Scented candles can create ambiance, relax people and even make them feel a little more motivated to work. Consider the following purposes when choosing your candle scent:
Ambiance-inducing candles might include lavender or sandalwood.
Odour-eliminating candles are great for bathrooms and even kitchens. For this, you might want a scent with some citrus in it, such as my Citrus & Basil.
Motivating candles for an office or workspace might include more of a vibrant aroma, like my Lemongrass & Ginger.
3. Choose your scent preference. People tend to gravitate toward candles that evoke certain good memories. Here are a few to choose from when purchasing a scent for yourself or as a gift:
- Fresh: This category includes citrus, herbal scents and other clean, natural aromas. Here, you might find notes of grapefruit, bergamot, eucalyptus, verbena, basil and more.
- Fruity: Love the smell of fresh mint or fig? This category is for you. Check out my Wild Mint or Fig & Vetiver candles, just to name a couple that are sure to bring a smile to anyone who smells them.
- Woodsy: These aromas bring the outdoors in. Think Tobacco & Oak, Blackcurrant & Tuberose, as well as Plum and Patchouli. These candles are excellent favourites among my customers.
- Sweet: If you love the smell of baked goods, choose some of my sweet wax melt bars!
Always here for any other tips or advice you might need. Thanks for reading and catch up soon!